French Business Etiquette
While adhering to proper etiquette is always considered polite in social situations, when it comes to business transactions, displaying proper etiquette is vital, as a single mistake or impropriety can cost you money and new business relationships.
Because the French value rules and propriety, taking time to learn proper French business etiquette will help ensure the success of your business with potential new clients and colleagues.
Proper French Business Meeting Etiquette
Many French-speaking countries value formality and respect. Consequently, they tend to share some of the more basic principles of proper business meeting etiquette.
General French etiquette tips include the following:
- Avoid exaggeration, which French business people interpret as naïve, boasting or flat-out rude.
Don't be afraid to debate. The French value business partners who make logical arguments and display an understanding of all of the "sides" or perspectives of a subject.
If you and your colleagues don't share a common language, plan ahead and hire a French interpreter for your business meetings.
- Exchange business cards after initial introductions. Although the French don't have a set formality to exchange business cards, doing so after your initial meeting is considered to be most appropriate time. As an added gesture of your good taste and respect for French business etiquette, include a French translation of your business card on its flipside.
- Write up agendas and decisions in a formal matter. Use precision and details when drawing up contracts, agendas or other business documents to be used by all the parties. Impress your French colleagues and show them that you value their business by obtaining French translations of your business documents.
- Do you need Bilingual French Professionals for your Company? Visit Foreign Staffing, Inc
Other helpful business etiquette tips include:
- Apologizing for not knowing the French language (if you don't speak it);
- Avoiding overly friendly behavior, as the French make a clear distinction between business and personal/social lives;
- Dressing conservatively (men should dress in darker colors, though it's more appropriate for women to dress in softer colors);
- Maintaining eye contact during discussions;
- Waiting to be instructed where to sit.
Values Cherished in French-Speaking Countries
Understanding the values that French speakers cherish can give you more insight into the rules of proper French business etiquette. Values French speakers hold in high esteem include:
- Respect for Authority
Business Etiquette Tips Specific to Different French-Speaking Countries
Aside from the above aspects of French business etiquette, some French-speaking countries have their own unique nuances to the more general practices. Here is an outline of proper business etiquette specific to particular French-speaking countries:
- Guinea: Business meetings in Guinea are typically far less formal in tone than those in other French-speaking countries. While you should still wear a collared shirt and tie to business meetings in Guinea, conventional suits (including blazers) are unnecessary.
France: Since many French business people take their vacations during July and August, avoid scheduling business meetings during these months.
Also, keep in mind that meals are not considered proper times to discuss business. If you want to talk business during a mealtime, wait until the dessert course to bring up business matters.
Monaco: Wearing full suits and scheduling formal appointments are cornerstones of doing business in Monaco.
In addition to these formalities, keep in mind that Monaco businessmen consider it rude to start a conversation in French and then revert to English. If not adept at speaking French, make sure to get a French interpreter for your business meetings in Monaco.
About Foreign Translations, Inc.
Foreign Translations, Inc. (www.foreigntranslations.com) is a 13-year old foreign language translation, interpreting and website localization firm headquartered in Greenville, SC. With more than 3,000 native translators located in over 30 countries, we translate documents ranging from 1,000 words to over several million words in all the major languages of the world.
- Jul 31 2014 Foreign Translations Sponsors Conference: DISCOVER GLOBAL MARKETS: The Americas
- Jun 06 2014 Foreign Translations Invited to Speak at Export University Workshop in Asheville, NC
- May 16 2014 Foreign Translations Attending Tradewinds Export Conference in Bogota, Colombia
Foreign Translations, Inc., provides the following services.
- Language Translation
- Website Localization
- Multilingual Desktop Publishing
- International Search Engine Optimization
Foreign Translations, Inc. translates in all the major languages of the world Accurate, On-time and Within Budget.
Go Global With Confidence®
Foreign Translations, Inc., provides translations in all of the following industries.
- Financial Translation
- Legal Translation
- Literary Translation
- Marketing Translation
- Medical Translation
- Technical Translation
- Website Translation
Our clients range from Fortune 500 companies to the Federal Government to Non-Profit organizations in all industries
Because price can be a concern to some clients, Foreign Translations has created three pricing levels to fit any need or budget.
Our over 3000 translator are native, educated, experienced and industry specific.
Use Our Free Globalization Tools:
- Free Translation Tools
- Currency Conversion Tool
- Time Zone Chart
- Weights and Measure Conversions
- Temperature Conversions
- Free Globalization Whitepapers